At Sawyer Creek Orthodontics, we pride ourselves in offering a variety of treatment options to best suit the needs of our patients. When you come in for a consultation, we will discuss all of the treatment options available to you and let you know what will work best to get you the results you desire. After all, when it comes to Invisalign vs. braces effectiveness, or even other aligners, it depends on your individual needs.
Either way you choose, orthodontics does involve a bit of a lifestyle change. Let’s review the pros and cons of the treatment options in our office.
Traditional braces can be done with either metal or ceramic (clear) brackets. Both bracket systems work the same; however, ceramic brackets are a little more esthetic and less noticeable on your teeth.
Pros of Traditional Braces – Metal and Ceramic
- We take care of everything for you and we make all of the adjustments necessary during your treatment plan.
- You don’t have to remember to take aligners in and out; brackets are fixed to the teeth and will stay in place until we remove them.
- You get to pick your colors! Braces will become your newest accessory. You can match your elastics to the colors for your favorite holiday, sports team or whatever suits you best!
Cons of Traditional Braces – Metal and Ceramic
- You have food restrictions during treatment. You should avoid anything really sticky or crunchy to avoid breaking brackets or putting bends in your wires. Popcorn is also on the list of things to avoid during orthodontic treatment.
- You will have more appointments. Adjustments are usually scheduled every 6-8 weeks.
- Metal brackets are not as esthetically pleasing.
- Brushing and flossing are a little more difficult with traditional braces vs. aligners.
- You are more likely to need a repair with traditional braces. Brackets can become loose if certain foods are not avoided. Elastics can come off as well, so you may be making more trips to our office for appointments.
Confident Aligners and Invisalign
At our office, we offer different aligner options. The first, Confident Aligners, is a clear aligner system that is made right here at Sawyer Creek Orthodontics. This aligner system allows us to fix small imperfections.
Invisalign is another aligner system, but it is used for cases that require a longer treatment period and more movement. Both offer similar benefits that traditional braces do not, but Invisalign vs. braces effectiveness is similar.
Pros of Confident Aligners and Invisalign:
- Aligners are esthetically pleasing; most people will not even notice you are wearing them.
- There are no food restrictions with aligners since you remove them to eat and to drink.
- You have fewer appointments in our office because we send you home with aligners to change on specific dates. We will see you every 8-12 weeks to monitor your progress, make adjustments as needed and provide you with more aligners.
- Brushing and flossing is still easy because the aligners can be removed.
Cons of Confident Aligners and Invisalign:
- Aligners need to be worn almost full time. Wearing them 21-22 hours a day is ideal. If you only wear them at night, they will not work.
- You need to keep track of them and make sure you do not lose them. They can easily be thrown away or lost.
- You need to take them in and out when you eat, brush your teeth or drink anything that isn’t water.
Call our office at 920-231-4922, or fill out our online request form, to schedule your complimentary consultation and learn what option will be best for you!